Last month I heard Jack Canfield, co-author of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series speak. I wanted to share some of my favorite ideas from his talk…How to get from where you are to where you want to be.
1. Decide what you want. Be precise. If you want more money, how much. If you just set your goal as more money then $5 will achieve that but was that your real intention?
2. Write down your goal. Did you know that writing down your goals increases your success by 1100% (USA Today reported in 2006 a study that compared those who write the success of those who write down their goals and those who did not.)
3. So now you have a well defined, written goal. How do you get from here to there? First off, take 100% responsibility for your life and your results. If you want a different outcome, you have to change your responses because
Events + Response = Outcome
Your responses are your behaviour, your thoughts, your beliefs, your visual images and you are in the driving seat to alter any that are not serving you. One of my favorite quotes of the day is “Your feelings fuel you” so make sure you have feelings that will help you achieve your goal. Here is an exercise Jack had us do – try it: With a partner say “I can’t….” do 5 things. Now say the same things but this time say “I won’t….”do those 5 things. How do you feel?
You can only hold one image in your mind at once, why waste it? “WORRY is visualizing what you don’t want“
4. Once you have a goal practice the rule of 5. Do 5 things every day to advance the achievement of your goal.
5. And an idea to create time to do that is to drop out of the Ain’t It Awful Club. How often do we do something because we “ought to” or “should” but we don’t enjoy being with that group of people? What would life look and feel like if you dropped out of that group?
6. Become an askaholic. Ask! Ask! Ask! Decide “What do I need to ask for?” and “Who do I need to ask?”
7. And another favorite quote “You can’t hire other people to do your pushups ” by Jim Rohn.
But you can get lots of help if you need instruction in new skills. Learn to change those limiting beliefs you have and create beliefs that align with your goals! (That is the Avatar Course!)